Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rice Au Gratin

Serves 6-8

4 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
1 8-oz. can water chestnuts (drained and chopped)
1 can cream of mushroom soup*
1/3 cup salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine cooked rice, onion, bell pepper, and water chestnuts. In another small bowl combine cream soup*, salad dressing, 1 cup shredded cheese, milk, and salt & pepper. Mix well and pour over rice mixture. Stir to combine. Butter a 9x13" baking dish. Pour rice mixture into prepared dish. Bake 350* for 20 minutes. Top with remaining shredded cheese and return to oven for another 5 minutes.

My thougths: I really, really like this casserole. I have used a homemade version of cream soup (recipe found here) with good results. Because commercial cream soups tend to be saltier you might need to add a bit more salt to the recipe if you choose to make your own cream soup. (I also prefer to leave out the green bell pepper and chestnuts. It's not as "pretty" and there isn't any "crunch" to it but I like it better my way.)

Serve it with: Ham steaks and green salad. It also can stand alone with a simple green bean side dish.

Shared with me by: My Grandma Jane.

0 comments: